Search This Blog

Saturday 4 July 2015

Teaching kids to be responsible through rewards


Motivate to be responsible
Last week I was not feeling too well to carry on the regular chronicles at home. I craved for someone  to support me with all the care and extend a helping hand.

My small daughter has always been my delight but childlike behaviour still rules strong. There are times I find her books all scattered just in those places where they are  least needed. Toys playing hide and seek from all those bizarre looking places. The empty glass still stood tall on the bed, the bed had all those wrinkles which my Grand Ma too did not possess and me yes I with my vocal pitch, my moody swings and “my monstrous side” jump from bed and the whole house swims in rude rhetoric’s.





I really had the urge to go through it and the way the Blog had been written, the whole idea of Mom’s rewarding kids and in return getting rewarded clicked instantly. Kimberly Roman’s technique of rewarding kids in the specific system coined as “virtual buck system” was unique.


Kids are best learners





It really struck me and why:

  • Rewarding kids with 10 virtual bucks seemed fascinating
  • If the kid does not take the initiative the bucks are taken away.
  • Kids are good learners and it’s a human tendency to feel a bit more motivated when a reward is assigned. 


The very basic characters of human nature blossoms right from childhood and there isn’t any harm if reward keeps them joyous and stimulate them  for a good cause.

Another Mom Denine too writes about the rewards which can be in terms of money/credit which is saved in their piggy bank or taken forward.Once they reach 10 points they are eligible for the reward. As a mother of a 9 year old daughter I imbibed into these methods and yes within a few weeks, I noticed these changes. Now my daughter rewards me with the following activities-

I am served with water whenever I am stuck in the middle of something. Mom's generally have these stop overs.




Inspired by "10 virtual bucks" methodology

The empty water bottles are safely tucked in the kitchen with water filled into it.

The books sing their own story with their fellow members in their safe haven (book shelf)


Arranging books became a new passion



The toys smile and play with each other in their playground

She loved toys in the shelf




And yes all these activities took a rolling start  because she gets rewarded with 10 virtual bucks, she has been able to add on to her “book collection” with this method. She loves it, her passion for books have grown since a few days. I love it. Either put those bucks into the piggy bank or the credit can be taken forward. You may also  be a little more creative and add on to your ideas of 10 other rewards as per the kid's interest but a continuous motivation in terms of reward (it can be very minimal not always monetary)adds on to a good start. May be books, may be craft items or anything  which the child gets stimulated with.
Well this time I spilled a whole glass of water on my laptop, wrong place to keep...10 virtual bucks for me too as well I guess;) Human tendency;)Rewards are real motivators.

Blog written under- “I am participating in the ‘Ready For Rewards’ activity for Rewardme in association with BlogAdda.”

PC-My album, Google, Shutterstuck

2 comments:

  1. Good one...loved how effortlessly you got the transformation in your little one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaivi.....I know these things have started bothering you:)yes it has helped me a lot and I believe it works.

      Delete

Your feedback

Carrying our world in our little pockets

As humans do we all think alike? Or as humans, we have some basic traits of behaving in a similar way because we are of the clone ...